Adults' | Criminal Justice | Lancashire
Recycling Lives uses its commercial waste management business to directly support its charity and social enterprises, for which it is recognised as a UK leader. The charity delivers a residential programme for ex-offenders and the homeless, focusing on employment skills and personal development, as well as operating a food redistribution centre. The social enterprise arm delivers employment and training programmes both within the prison environment and the community.
Currently Recycling Lives operates in Lancashire, Merseyside and areas of the North East. Following success in these areas and national recognition from influential stakeholders, Recycling Lives sought to devise a plan to develop its HMP Academy programme and prison waste recycling pilot, while developing internal operating procedures and infrastructure to support this growth. Recycling Lives did not have the internal capacity or expertise to undertake this business development.
There was no risk to us… we didn’t have any capacity within our charity to do bid-writing so [working with Capacity] seemed like… a no brainer really.”
On what the Recycling Lives charity values most about Capacity: “The one to one relationship; [Grace] has come in and understands what we are and what we do.
Chief Executive of Recycling Lives Charity
In response to these challenges, Capacity has supported Recycling Lives by:
- Producing a growth plan to present to funders outlining its ambitious business development plans and funding requirements
- Writing funding applications to support business development activities
- Reviewing standard operating procedures across all service areas and producing service manuals to document operational processes and policies.
Thanks to £15,000 of successful grant applications submitted by Capacity on behalf of Recycling Lives, it has been able to:
- Develop robust operational manuals for the social enterprise arm for the first time
- Strengthen governance practices and organisational policies and procedures
- Focus on maximising their impact: the grant funding means they can focus efforts on expanding the reach of the programmes beyond Lancashire.